Monday, August 3, 2009

Thing 16 Teach Digital

Ha :) Should have know Ron would feed us TED:)
I had heard Sir Ken before, and figured out that my future grand kids would graduate in 2032 from High School (that's if I am blessed enough to have one of my 3 sons have a child in the next 3-4 years).
But how do we help children find their talent? With the state pushing testing and results, we lost wood shop and drama and added 4 years of predefined math and English. The last video clip where the children said "you want to teach it the same way you learned it" really struck home. I learned English by diagramming and have heard myself say that that's what's missing in today's classes. I see our math teachers teaching the same way I was taught 45 years ago. Ways have to change. BUT and a little but.... our students make great videos and put them out on You Tube but... I try to help them write their senior papers and they don't know punctuation, spelling or verb tenses. What is the balance? We have mostly bi-lingual students so their early years of education are in another language and not in Michigan. How can we help them here?
My biggest learning take-away? That our only hope is our children and we must help them find their future- not take it away from them. As the guidance counselor, that scares and yet excites me. Time, more time....

No comments:

Post a Comment